Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Mary Poppins Misgivings...and other things we're discovering about Blair



Blair never ceases to surprise me with things he will say or do at any random moment. One night last week, he was working on his homework in the bedroom and I was rocking the baby while watching T.V. Every half hour or so, Blair would come out to get a drink or take a break. He wandered into the living room on one such break and asked me what I was watching. I replied that I had just started watching this movie called "Nanny McPhee." (A very weird kid movie that, despite it's strangeness, was kind of cute.) Blair watched for about 3 minutes, then returned to his homework, but continued to come and watch 3 minute segments over the course of the next couple of hours. When the movie was over and I was getting ready for bed, Blair casually asked how the movie ended. I replied that the dad of the family married the scullery maid who returned after a long absence. Blair totally caught me off guard when he whirled around in his chair, threw his arms in the air and exclaimed, "What?!! No!" I wondered why he was so upset and said, "Yeah, she came back all educated and beautiful and became his wife and mom to his 7 children." Blair again yelled, "No!" I had no idea what he was so upset about until he continued, "He was supposed to marry the nanny." "Why?" I countered. "This is terrible! It's just like Marry Poppins! I always watched that show when I was little and was disappointed every time! She should have married the guy." "But the dad was already married," I reasoned. "Not the dad! The chimney sweep. She should have hooked up with the chimney sweep." He said putting his head in his hands.

I had no idea that Blair apparently had deeply embedded issues dealing with the implications of Nannies not getting married at the end of Disney films. I think it stems from his kind nature and his yearning for people to be truly happy and not suffer a life of loneliness--even nannies.

Another surprise came when I walked into the bathroom one night and saw Blair standing there with his face covered in some kind of white milky substance. It quite frankly scared me half to death. As it turns out, he was just trying to wash his face. Earlier we had discussed his frustration at still getting little bouts of acne this long after being a teenager. I suggested he try my face wash and see if it helped. He said he had already tried it and it made no difference. I guess this time, he decided he just hadn't applied enough in the previous trials, so he put a handful on. (The suggested amount is a pea-sized dot.) Needless to say, when I opened the door and saw his ghostly face, I burst out laughing and he let me snap a pic.

Living with Blair is NEVER boring. He is usually the most delightful part of my day! He definitely keeps things interesting.

2 comments:

  1. He's got a point - I don't think anyone would notice a pimple with all of that white stuff on his face. :)

    Also, I just read a kid's book called "The Willoughbys" written by Lois Lowry, and it had an amazing nanny ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to vote with Blair on this. Mary Poppins should have married Dick van Dyke at the end. You should read the Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books. Good times! (And Jodi, you won't be completely technologically advanced until you join the rest of your witty friends in the Facebook universe--hint hint!) Love you!

    ReplyDelete