Monday, January 18, 2010

My B-loved B-lair...

Since the last part of October, when the temperature first dropped below 32 degrees, my sweet husband has been dying to go ice fishing. Why anyone would want to sit on a frozen lake while icy winds chap your extremities is totally beyond my realm of comprehension. Blair, on the other hand, looks on the adventure as a small piece of frozen heaven on earth. Finally, last weekend he committed our neighbor into going ice fishing. So, Saturday morning, Blair awakened at the crack of dawn before his alarm even sounded. (This NEVER happens except in the case of morning fishing trips and the opening day of the dear hunt.) After persevering for long hours in what Blair called "balmy" weather (12 degrees), he proudly returned with his first catch of the season. A 16 inch rainbow trout. We fried up the catch of the day and ate him for dinner. Blair couldn't have been more content.

"Jodi! We should send this picture to Cabela's so they can hang it on the wall with all the state's greatest fishermen."

Linus the fish's last goodbye before becoming the main course. RIP Linus. (It seemed like a good name to me:)

Remember how I have mentioned that Blair is always full of random surprises? Here is yet another one to add to my file. We made deluxe salads for our Sunday dinner yesterday. (The only way I can get Blair to eat his greens is to disguise them in a lot of chicken, olives, cheese, boiled eggs, etc.) Well, Blair LOVES Catalina salad dressing. I am convinced it is just ketchup on steroids, but Blair says it's the best thing since sliced bread. So, after taking a few bites of his Catalina soaked vegetable medley, he says, "Hang on, I'll be right back." In two seconds he was back with a giant bib neatly fastened around his neck. I exploded with laughter at the sight and asked, "What in the world is that?" He looked at me like I was the crazy one and said, "It's a bib." Turns out, Blair is big on social graces and didn't want to ruin his best Sunday white shirt by dripping Catalina on it. He informed me that he obtained the bib (complete with little red, blue, and yellow candy shapes on it) from a lady in his mission. It was a gift. When asked if she gave it to him because he had a history of spilling on himself, he replied in a completely matter of fact voice, "maybe." You gotta love this guy.

3 comments:

  1. So Brady would go fishing with you any day Blair!! He has been wanting to go too! You guys need to take a trip! Cute bib by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome! Totally loved reading about the adventures in the Newbold family! However, I still miss have Jodi at work to talk to!

    ReplyDelete